- Seoul's proposed DMZ peace park faces tough road ahead
- S. Korea-U.S. summit to push N. Korea to review policy options
- S. Korea, U.S. agree to stronger deterrence against N. Korea
- S. Korea-U.S. summit meeting unlikely to draw out N. Korea: analysts
- Future of Kaesong industrial complex in doubt over escalating tensions
- N. Korea in tug of war over dialogue terms with S. Korea, U.S.
- Park, Obama face crucial test on chemistry amid N.K. headache
- (News Focus) N. Korea's hacking capabilities advance
- N. Korea's hacking capabilities advance
- (News Focus) N. Korea ratchets up tension by restricting Kaesong operations
- N. Korea cautious in choosing timing for any attack: U.S. experts
- N. Korea fueling tensions to seek diplomatic solution: sources
- N. Korea's state-sponsored hackers emerge as global threat
- Three years after naval vessel sinking, N. Korea poses greater security threat
- N.K. leader's front-line inspections fuel military clash concerns
- N. Korea threatens war in defiance of U.N. resolution
- 'Strongest sanctions' on NK, output of artful U.N. diplomacy
- China holds key to implementing U.N. sanctions against N. Korea
- N. Korea again resorts to brinkmanship to put pressure on U.S.
- U.S. aim of denuclearizing N. Korea in question
- Park vows 'trust-building' with N. Korea despite nuke brink
- Park faces key tasks on relations with N. Korea, regional powers
- All eyes on China for tougher sanctions against nuclear N. Korea
- Nuke test stirs debate on how to handle N. Korea's WMD program
- Obama's N. Korea policy put to crucial test again
- (NK N-test) N. Korea's nuke test jeopardizing inter-Korean relations
- Nuke test aims to solidify Kim's control, take upper hand in int'l arena
- N. Korea's nuke test presents major security challenge for Park, Obama
- N. Korea's nuke test feared to foil Park's overture of engagement: experts
- N. Korea's nuclear tension overshadows new gov't in Seoul
- N. Korea ramps up threat of another nuclear test
- U.N. action on N. Korea late yet meaningful: official
- In second term, Obama faces tough issues with Seoul
- Inter-Korean relations effectively severed under Lee administration
Home > NorthKorea > Vantage Point
January 2012 VOL. 35 NO. 1
CONTENTS SPECIAL REPORTS
KIM JONG-IL’S DEATH AND NORTH KOREA’S FUTURE
NORTH KOREA’S MOVE AFTER KIM JONG-IL’S DEATH 2
North Korea set a mourning period from Dec. 17 to Dec. 29,
and plans to hold the funeral ceremony in Pyongyang on Dec. 28.
PROSPECTS FOR KIM JONG-UN LEADERSHIP SUCCESSION 7
Analysts say the key to how the succession plays out is how the military,
which is the core of North Korean power, reacts to the new leader.
IMPACT OF KIM JONG-IL’S DEATH ON KOREAN PENINSULA 12
The North’s new leader is obliged to carry out the will of his father,
who had prepared his country to go back to the six-party talks.
KIM JONG-IL’S LIFETIME IN POWER OF NORTH KOREA 16
Kim Jong-il came to the political front in the party congress in 1980
and he was reported to be handling all state affairs since the mid-1980s.
NORTH KOREA UNDER KIM JONG-IL’S RULE 20
In an effort to combat difficulties facing N. Korea, Kim Jong-il ruled
the country with Songun politics, granting the military a pivotal role.
N.K.’S REINFORCEMENT OF MENACING TONES AGAINST SEOUL 23
N.K.’s recent salvo of rhetoric is an apparent attempt to impel Seoul
and Washington back to stalled multilateral negotiations on favorable terms.
U.N. Panel Adopts Resolution Condemning N.K.’s Human Rights Abuses 28
N. Korea’s Participation in Vietnam War Specified in New Dossier 30
N. Korea Resumes Slander against President Lee After Six-month Lull 32
Internal Affairs 34
External Affairs 38
INTER-KOREAN RELATIONS 44
STUDIES By Lee Su-seok, Ph. D.
N. KOREA’S MOVES TOWARD ANOTHER DYNASTIC
POWER SUCCESSION AND PROSPECTS FOR ITS FOREIGN POLICY 46
FOREIGN TIPS 57
PEOPLE & CHRONOLOGICAL REVIEW 60
|ㆍJANUARY 2013 Vol.36 No.1|
|ㆍDECEMBER 2012 Vol.35 No.12|
|ㆍNOVEMBER 2012 Vol.35 No.11|
|ㆍOCTOBER 2012 Vol.35 No.10|
|ㆍSEPTEMBER 2012 Vol.35 No.9|
|ㆍAUGUST 2012 Vol.35 No.8|